Sunday, October 21, 2007

Avi CD stash 2

imse vimse organic , small setting.

I believe that Avi's cloth diaper is a lil bit too much but i always seem to run out of CD. Be it rainy or sunny day...my favourite CD's are fitted and OS pocket. Our first cloth diaper were Drybees pocket & Drybees AIO, then some freshbots & bummis diaper cover, that's was when we finally decided that we were gonna stick to CD for a long time. Our passion grew and soon begin ordering CD from US. We ended up having more than enough. We finally open up an e-store based in KK for local moms to have the chance to experience the goodness of CD.


TT OS elite pocket diaper/ lilac/ medium setting.

I do get some comments like ' what cloth diaper are you using? flat nappies?' , ' How do you wash of the poo?' , ' Isn't it expensive?', ' do you have all the time to do laundry/ fold cloth diapers?' , okay , there were lots more but i do see a good side to it, I can actually explain and show that I care for the environment, let my child wear cloth instead of disposable diaper, and show them that i don't sigh or groan whenever I put a fresh CD on my child and in 5 minutes , when she poo..i don't worry about throwing the dispo diaper away, i just rinse of her poo ( still breastfeeding) and put a fresh new CD on her...no worries, I've travelled long journey 5 hours from KK- KLIA - Muar, or from KK to Tamparuli/ Papar ) and do experience her poo in the journey, well, I just remove the soiled CD and put it in a wet bag, when i reached home, i just wash it off, okay now you might even say, "isn't stinky?", it smells , yes, whose doesn't?

I do experience stinky pocket diaper due to detergent built up, what I do is, 1st I rinse and let it soak with Sodium Bicarbonate then rinse with distilled vinegar to neutralize the alkaline (in a basin). Sometimes i don't use vinegar just Dettol to disinfect and rinse with extra water to rid of smell, for the final rinse, and depending on how much CD i've wash, i use rinse and spin on the washing machine setting I usually do this routine in the evening and line dry. It dries quickly the next day under hot sun. Never bleach your microfiber insert, it will only cause it to repel water ( i've experimented it) and if you however did that...rinse with loads of clean water. Some e-store do have special detergent to wash CD and if that suits you, it would be great. I'm just using ordinary detergent without softener / whitener , bleach/ clorox or fragrance ( fragrance add more smell to CD), i won't advertise the detergent here...LOL!!

It's strange that strange odour only happens to pocket diaper and not fitted ...i guess because fitted doesn't have fleece. But whatever it is, proper care is needed for cloth diaper. Well, whatever, i am proud to be cloth diapering my child and even more proud that i am not adding garbage every weekend. Happy cloth diapering!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi
finally I see the BTAM's blog

btw just to share, the pocket diaper that you mentioned smell more than fitted, I think maybe it has something to do with the absorbent material ( in pocket means the insert , either microfiber or hemp).I also have many kinds of pocket diapers without PUL, like with fleece/windpro, minkee , GADimals. And yes, after sometimes ( let's say a few hours)I can smell the ammonia's coming from the diaper. While with the fitted , also like that, but more the smell is more subtle.
But with any kind of pocket diapers, either if the pocket is PUL pockets, or without PUL like with fleece.windpro , or minkee, or other material, the smell is still there.
Maybe it is the reaction of the urine with synthetic fabric ( let's say microfiber)
or because the insert in pocket is sandwiched between 2 kind of material.While in fitted the material of most fitted is natural material, and it is not sandwiched between 2 other fabric .( only the cover)

If the PUL caused the smell, when we use fitted with PUL cover ( like bummis, Thirties etc) then it's suppose to be just the same like pocket with PUL.
Am I making any sense? LOL...become confusing..

Well,this is what I "GUESS" LOL

BTAM said...

yes..i think its the fleece that needs extra care...

Peridot&Sapphire said...

true ah?? I encountered smell on PUL pocket and fitted too. Especially fitted that I wear on my dd overnight... fuiyoh... the urine smell and smell in the whole room!!! But daytime use not that bad but I think what Sandra said make sense too. I found that natural fiber diaper don't retain smell that much compare to microfiber.